Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Tips for Getting Your Baby to Sleep


There are plenty of "experts" out there ready to tell you exactly how to get your baby to sleep.

On one side there are those who say baby should learn to sleep independently on a strict routine right from the first few weeks.

And on the other those who say the first 3 months are a "fourth trimester" and babies should be held as much as possible, rocked and comforted to sleep and benefit from co-sleeping.


I'm not totally convinced by either extreme ... like most mums I muddle along somewhere in the middle.

What I am convinced of, is that there is not a one size fits all sleep solution for all babies.

My absolute biggest new mum mistake was to follow a routine from a well-known baby "guru". It was a complete and utter failure!

Not - as the baby guru might suggest - because I didn't try very hard to follow the routine, I did.  But because it just didn't work for my child. Other babies I know fell into that routine with no effort from their mums but mine didn't.

The trick in the end was to get to know my baby and adopt sleep tactics and routines that she responded  well to. And to learn more about things that got in the way of sleeping such as colic & reflux.

And also to recognise that good sleep probably had as much to do with everything else we'd done during the day as it did with how I put baby to sleep ... fresh air & day light morning and afternoon and increasingly stimulating activities & social interaction produced a happy, tired baby who slept better.

To provide you with some tips and tactics to try out, I've put together a list of lots of things that helped us plus lots of things that didn't work at all for us but did work for our friends ...

Hopefully it will provide you with ideas of how you can respond to your baby's personality & needs ... if you've got great tips of your own do add them to the list ...

And if you're looking for more sleeps tips for children of all ages check out the links to great posts from other bloggers at the bottom of this post ...

Tips for Getting Baby To Sleep



New Baby Board on Pinterest


For fabulous pregnancy and new baby pins from all over the web do follow me on Pinterest ...



More Sleep Advice

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mum! I'm a Labor and Delivery RN in the USA. We IMPLORE our Moms NOT TO COSLEEP with the infant. You (and your partner) are exhausted and it is way to easy to roll on the baby and cause permanent injury up to and including death. A cradle/crib or bassinette right next to the bed is the ticket! I agree that infants absolutely cannot be spoiled! They should be held often and whenever they need comfort, in my opinion. I do believe that as they get older kids should have a routine bedtime and a routine leading up to bedtime.

    I just wanted to lend a cautioning word against sleeping with your infant in your bed. Please, please PLEASE do not do it! I have seen the tragedies this can lead to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I co-slept with both of my boys :) The only people that I have known that had problems with it were having problems with other things (drugs, alcohol etc.). Since I breastfed with no bottle feedings getting in and out of a crib every 45 minutes (my oldest was over 9 lbs) would have made me a zombie! I do think you need to be informed of your decision whatever it is. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all these tips...going to try it with my next baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great things for new moms to keep in mind. I agree with you that I'm somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I couldn't agree more with #17--both my kids have black out curtains and I really think that helped them sleep better. I recommend that tip to all my friends!
    I'm stopping by from Tatertots & Jello (#39 Orange Creamsicle Cookies) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I have a new baby and could really use some sleep help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good tips thank you.
    #pinitparty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting out of the house at least once a day is so important. Everyone can get story crazy. Even babies.

    Thanks for linking up. Check out your feature here: http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2013/07/mom-advice-72913/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice!! I find it really depends on your child and your family needs. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your comments ... I don't get to respond to all of them but do leave me a link to your blog or favourite social media accounts so I can hop over for a visit ... Alice x